Thursday, April 17, 2014

An Immigrant's Story

Came from CUBA w my parents back in 1967 in the LIBERTY FLIGHTS.
Got married ,divorced, no kids and worked different jobs.
In Feb 11th    1980 got an office job and I thought to my self I will retired from here at 65.
 
On JULY  2012 after 33 years I  got layoff .They got TEMPS and younger college people.
I did  get UI .and looked for part time jobs. But there is a problem I was 60 They want younger people.
 
In NOV 2013  after I did worked all my life the stop my UI .No savings.
I will be force to retired at 62  10 months to go.
I have not paid rent for the last two months, going to food pantry and Salvation Army for food, for me and m pets.but they don't give personal items. EMBARRASSING.
You can go once a month to either one .Never get enough food for my dogs. So if I get $5 extra dollars is for pet food.
I don't drink or smoke but I LIKE TO DRINK DIET COKE  and I can't .My dogs are first.
I been waiting to get help w my electric bill since JAN 16th  that I did apply for help.
Com ED can't wait till I AM approved ,they want down payment of $67.by next Friday.
Had to cancel the YMCA of 14 years.
My family pays my phone and Internet in case of an emergency .
My neighbor did give me money to help w my cooking gas.
I am not a lazy person I clean the building to help w my rent. I take care of a couple of cats ,I do my land lord's laundry and help her in her house .She takes it off the rent.
They offer me to apply for low income ,just have to get in line.....
Why do I have to move when I been here for 34 years?
 
No one can tell me that I am taking a long vacation and enjoying this situation ,not knowing if next month I will have electricity or cooking gas or a place to leave.
I wont tell my name. , don't want anyone to feel sorry for me .I want what I deserve ,what I worked for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment